This is a short instructional blog on how to ruffle feathers on facebook and lose friends.
At the top of facebook is something called a Status Update and you can go on there and change your status. It will always say "Amanda Jo (is)_________" and you add the rest.
So you could say something like:
"Amanda Jo is happy"
"Amanda Jo loves potatoes"
"Amanda Jo breaks for unicorns"
And people can leave you comments on your status updates just as you would on a blog. Until yesterday I had never gotten more than 3 comments on one of my status updates.
Well, yesterday I REALLY got some people going by saying:
"Amanda Jo is proud of California"
See, they passed the gay marriage ban yesterday and I was just expressing the fact that I was excited that the people of California voted to uphold the sacredness of marriage between a man and a woman. I am always excited when governments uphold God's law. Call me crazy.
Once upon a time I had roommate who was (and still is) a homosexual and we got along REALLY well even though he knew, without a shadow of doubt, that I did not approve of his lifestyle. While I know that as a Christian living with him wasn't the best choice (separate rooms, separate floors of the apartment), I don't regret it. I learned a lot during those six months.
Back to the point at hand. Yesterday, after I updated my status to say that I am proud of California. My ex-roommate left me a comment expressing his disappointment. He wasn't disrespectful or vulgar, I just don't feel it necessary to post what he said.
My reply, in my opinion, was bold yet gracious:
"I know it upsets a lot of people but I have to stand up for what the Bible says. You know I've always held this position...and I've always treated you and others with love and respect and I plan on continuing to do so."
This little conversation set off quite the debate! I'm not kidding you, by the end of the day I had 42 comments on my status.
And my ex-roommate deleted me from his friends list. I was also called a 'facebook drama maker' by one of our mutual friends.
So, if you want record numbers of status comments and fewer friends all you have to do is stand up for the Word of God and mention that you don't support gay marriage. Then all of your old high school friends (from before you were a Christian) will come out of the wood work to attack you.
Who knew updating a status could cause all this drama!
I think we'll tackle my pro-life stance next time!
Oh, and I over use, commas.
,
13 comments:
Your blog is so cute! I love you Amanda Jo & Little E:)
well, imho you can live any way you choose but marriage IS a sacrament so God HAS to be in it so since he says let man and woman be joined together if you are a christian you have to abide by, and agree to his law. im with you sister. now im going to get hate filled comments too, arent i?
Wow- sounds like quite the ordeal. Way to get them riled up!
hmm yes it was a very crazy war on your status....and I was shocked to see how many responses there were :P
but nonetheless I am proud of you for stickin with it and not letting your guard down, YOU GO GIRL!!!!
love ya!!!!!
You may have lost friends, but you gained my respect and I'm sure a whole lot of others for standing up for your beliefs. And more importantly, you obeyed the Word of God, and showed yourself to be HIS friend above all others.
"For what good does it do a man to gain the world, but lose his soul?"
OMGosh...it is TOTALLY the week for FB status drama. I had a little of my own too! I am so greatful for that email you sent. It is JUST what my Hubby & I have been studying for the last 6 mo. I am totally on board with you and what the scriptures say. I'll email you later. But keep standing for the word of God! His word NEVER returns void!
Janell
Well, Miss Thaaaaannnnng (inserted for dramamtic purposes only) I think you are FANTASTIC! I LOVE being able to stand up for Jesus and what is RIGHT! And know what? Jesus likes it too. And even though it hurts when people attack us even when we KNOW what we are supporting is right, that only brings us closer to our Saviour! You are my hero today!!!
Many blessings!
Amanda
If I could figure out FACEBOOK I would go over there and cheer you on!
Go Amanda for standing up for the Word of God! It's sharper than a double-edge sword. By golly, it's supposed to ruffle feathers - it's black and white in a world of varying shades of gray... Keep standing tall!
Good for you for standing up for what you know to be true! I too am proud of California!
I'm always amazed and rather saddened when as a Christian and state our beliefs how we get attacked by those who are more liberal in their thoughts, beliefs, life style and we're called closed minded, biggots, haters, etc...yet if we dare to disagree with them.
Good for you for though, it's not always easy, and rarely the "popular" stance to stand strong in your beliefs of the Lord Jesus.
I'm not surprised your words inspired such a reaction on Facebook. Didn't Jesus love everyone regardless of sexuality, nationality, race etc etc???? What a tragic and shocking blog to stumble across.
I can only pity you and those who are influenced by your dangerous values. I hope your child develops a questioning, loving mind of his own and embraces the love of Jesus Christ without resorting to this kind of cowardly propaganda.
Shirley,
You're right, Jesus did love everybody (just as I do) BUT He has a standard, a law, that has to be upheld. Just because you love somebody doesn't mean you allow them to break rules. My son for instance, we have rules. If he breaks them then he is punished.
God has rules. If we break them, and we all do (from liars to theives to abortionists to adulterers to homosexuals...we all fall under at least one of these labels), then we are subject to the consquences - Hell and eterity spent separated from God. Jesus, though, loved us all SO much despite our sin that He died on the cross to save us from the consequences of our sins. That is how He demonstrated His love for us, not by allowing us to live the life that we want which is opposed to God's law.
I will pray for you today, Shirley, and feel free to e-mail me so we can discuss this further if you wish.
There is nothing in the Bible that suggests God regards homosexuality as sin. God is interested in our relationships with ourselves, others, the things in our lives, and with God (MAT 23:36-40). There is nothing in the mind of God that is against a loving, sexual relationship, freely entered into, without coercion, among sincere adults whether gay, bisexual or straight.
Your prejudice rejects people or things outside your understanding. But the God of creation speaks and declares, "I have looked out on everything I have made and `behold it (is) very good'." (GEN 1:31). The word of God in Christ says that we are loved, valued, redeemed, and counted as precious no matter how we might be valued by a prejudiced world.
Shirley is right. With regard to the ubiquitous question, "What would Jesus do?" I'm pretty sure the answers do NOT include "Be sanctimonious."
Post a Comment