Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Extreme Makeover: Me Edition - The Biggest Loser

(EM:ME is hosted by Amber - head over to her blog and join in!!)

It's been a while since I've participated in Extreme Makeover: Me Edition but it's time for me to jump back on this band wagon.

(I think I'm ADD)

I am especially excited about this week's prompt: The Biggest Loser.

I've watched TBL for a few seasons now and I really do get a lot of inspiration from it. This year has been a different story though. Now that all of the major turmoil in our lives seems to be tapering off (I hope, I hope, I hope), I can finally start to focus on getting my house, schedule and self in order.

Some of the things I've found especially inspiring have been the things people have said...

For example, I think it was Abby who said last night "Counting your calories and moving really does work!" after a great weigh in. Hearing words like this from people who are overweight like me (but who are actually losing weight) mean the most.

They motivate me the most. They know the addiction to food - and yes, it is an addiction. They know how easy it is to get discouraged when your best effort fails and then fall right back into the same old habits. They know the looks, the stares, the failure you feel when you have to face the music and start shopping in the "Plus Size" department.

(by the way, designers and retailers (Target especially), if you're reading this - step it up! Bigger girls like cute (AFFORDABLE) clothes too! And we don't like looking like circus tents!)

Anyway....on with what I was saying. I am most motivated by overweight people who are actually in the process of losing weight - which is why TBL works for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The thing that was said on the show that really hit home this season was about selfishness. I don't remember what the exact quote was or who said it but it was during the first episode while they were meeting with the doctors. This lady realized how selfish she was being with regard to eating and health. Instead of taking care of herself and living a healthy life she chose to be selfish and eat. Eat what wasn't good for her. Eat more than what was good for her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How I'm doing...

I really want to make a change. I've tried so many times but I give up way too easily. I have lots of reasons and excuses for giving up (let me know if you want to hear them, I'm all too happy to tell).

I am sitting at the same weight I was even a year ago: 230lbs.

Blech. I get sick just looking at that number. I hate PCOS and my addiction to food. But enough whining though - it's gotten me nowhere in the last 8 months.

I am joining Weight Watchers (the one program I haven't tried).

I am going to walk/jog Monday - Friday from 7:15am until 8am. (I walk Ethan to the school bus every morning so I can just head out straight from the bus stop - and when it's raining I STILL have no excuse. We have to walk right past the gym on our way to the bus.)

4 comments:

Stayathomemommy said...

I really enjoy watching the Biggest Loser too! All the weight loss is inspiring. I have started a walk everyday about a mile. I have to take the two kids in the double stroller but I think it is working. Good luck on all of your endeavors.
~Karrie

Erin said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Looks like we're both into before & afters. :) We also have another thing in common: PCOS. Gotta love those carb & sugar cravings. I could eat a whole bag of chips without even realizing it. Keep up the exercise! You're doing great! I'm looking forward to checking out the rest of your blog!

Crystal Victoria said...

That's awesome! Im excited for you girl!

maggie may said...

i know your struggle. it's hard to stay motivated. i start out all guns-ablazin' and then fizzle out because i have little to no focus. :)
thanks for the encouragement