Get ready, we're about to do a miniature Bible study. I hope you enjoy it! If you do, let me know, we might do one of these a week!!! This means I want comments, ladies (and gentlemen, if you're reading this), comments galore!
Let me tell you about my favorite Bible verse.
All Scripture is given by inspiration of God and is good for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness so that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work. ~2 Timothy 3:16-17
There are so many nuggets of truth in this I get exited just thinking about it!
The first thing we need to do is take a look at who's writing this and to whom he's writing it to:
I hope I used 'whom' correctly in that sentence up there, oh well, moving on. The apostle to the Gentiles, Paul, is in a Roman prison for the second time and is writing this letter to Timothy, his beloved "son in the faith". Paul had actually led Timothy to Christ and now Timmy, as I like to call him, is pastoring a the church in Ephesus. So, Paul is writing to Tim to exhort him to continue faithfully in his duties and to ask him to quickly come to visit him because he knows that persecution could happen at any time.
Next let's take a gander at the first line of this verse:
All Scripture is given by inspiration of God. This means literally "breathed out by God," or "God breathed". We all know that God is perfect and can do no wrong. So, we can know for a fact through this verse that if God literally breathed out the Scriptures that it too is perfect and in it there is no wrong.
Now let's examine the next few lines:
...and is good for doctrine, for reproof, for correction and instruction in righteousness. What do each of these words mean?
Doctrine: The Scripture provides the comprehensive and complete body of divine truth necessary for life and godliness (as Johnny Mac likes to put it). In other words the Bible is completely capable of teaching you everything that you need to know in order to live as a Christian in this world.
Reproof: The Bible will show you what you're not supposed to do. Paul even said in Romans (7:7) "I would not have known sin if it were not for the law."
Correction: Scripture not only rebukes wrong behavior, but also points the way back to godly living.
Instruction in Righteousness: Scripture provides positive training in godly behavior, not merely rebuke and correction of wrong behavior.
Why does Scripture do all of this?
...so that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work. The Bible does all of this so that we can be able to meet all the demands of godly ministry and righteous living.
I hope through this miniature study you can see how important it is to read the Bible; without it, you cannot be equipped for your duties a Christian. Everything we need is between the covers of that beautiful love letter written by our God - for us - so that we can know and serve Him.
Urgent Prayer Request
Please pray for my friends, The W's, as they travel to Tennessee to be with family. My friend's aunt was killed in the church shooting in Tennessee. Please pray that they would have a safe trip, comfort and peace as they mourn. Also pray that the Lord would use this tragedy for good and that someone would come to know Him. Pray that the W's would be gracious yet bold with the Gospel message while they are there.
Thank you.
4 comments:
I am praying for your friends. When I heard the report on the news, my heart went out to all involved. Know they will be lifted up in prayer during this difficult time.
hugs,
Barb
thank you so much for sharing this lovely Bible Study, Im going to print it out now! And I will definatly be praying for your friend's and their family!
Oh, that is so sad. I will be praying as well.
On another note, I loved the Word study :)
Hi! I just got back from the Friday session of a Friday and Saturday Beth Moore simulcast at my church, and she was teaching on that very same verse! Thanks for your post.
~Susan
Post a Comment