Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Mom Groups & Play Dates

Being a mom is a tough (but awesome) gig no matter what your circumstances are and it always helps to have a group of peers who identify with you and can be a listening ear when you're in need.

So, I've been tossin' around an idea or two about putting together a group for moms of special needs kids - especially those of us with children with behavioral disorders.


I've been checkin' out Meet Up for some groups to potentially join but since Ethan's issues (bipolar, conduct disorder, adhd and 3 learning disabilities) aren't easily seen by others I'm really afraid I won't even be able to fit in with the group who's kids have issues like Autism, Fragile X and various other disorders.

So that's the reason behind putting together a new group.

Anyway, have any of you been involved in a mom group?

Do you have any tips for how one works?

I have no idea what I'm doing here!

1 comment:

MamaHen Em said...

When my kids were little, I ran our local MOPS group for a couple of years and spent the first five years of O's life involved in MOPS. Once he started school, I switched to meeting up with a few close friends and their kids at a park or play place once a week. Now, blessedly :) we have coffee while the kids are all at school :) Hee hee.

These are a few of the things that made it work for us:
*No judgment. All of us are imperfect, including our kids. Mine might hit yours this week and next week yours might say something mean. It says nothing about your parenting, simply that our kids are still a work in progress.
*Be careful doling out the advice. It's usually better to be a good listening ear unless someone specifically asks for input.
*Have clear time limits before you start. Will you meet for one hour? All day? Are you providing lunch and snacks? Is everyone taking a turn hosting?
*If it is held in your house, make sure your child knows that it's okay to take a break from the action if he needs to. O often would retreat to his room because it was too much for him. Upstairs was off limits, so he could check out and back in when he needed to.
*Also, if it's in your home, let your child put away special things before everyone comes over if he needs to.

Good luck! A mom's group can be such a source of support and friendship!