I admit that I'm not the best writer in the world.
It's no secret really.
I enjoy writing though and as a women's ministry director
I have the privilege of writing many personal
notes of encouragement,
sympathy, and congratulations.
I cannot go into detail but the woman ("S") I am writing this note for
just took her children to visit their father in jail for the first time.
The circumstances behind his incarceration are traumatic
and came as an extreme shock to everyone who knew him.
He will be locked up for a very long time
and the family is trying to decide where they will live and how they
will support themselves now.
I have been praying for S for weeks now and have yet to write her
for my lack of word sufficient to express myself.
I want to offer help, advice and sympathy but I don't want to come
across as a fortune cookie or as a know-it-all.
Do you guys have any tips or advice on writing notes
when the situation is extremely rare and very "sticky", for lack of a better word?
I am at a total loss for what is appropriate here.

3 comments:
:( that sounds terrible :(
I don't really have any advice with writing letters, I just try to be the friend that listens when the person needs time to vent or collect their emotions.
Poor, poor family. I think I would simply write something like, "You have been in my prayers for weeks now. I cannot imagine all that you are going through right now, but I wanted you to know that my heart aches for you and that God loves you and I love you. If you need ANYTHING, do not hesitate to call.
Sincerely..."
Because I bet she feels like everyone is talking about her and her situation and that somehow she will bear the brunt of how people feel about her husband. She probably just really needs to know that "people" still love HER.
i agree with mamahen. "i'm thinking about you constantly and want more than anything to help you guys during this really rough time. please do not hesitate to ask for help, because we love you and want to support you. i know the situation you are in is unexpected and challenging, and i will continue praying for God's guidance over you and your family."
hard stuff. heartbreaking...
Post a Comment