I've got half a mind to boycott my local Goodwill...
I know that the proceeds go to "education, training, and career services for people with disadvantages, such as welfare dependency, homelessness, and lack of education or work experience, as well as those with physical, mental and emotional disabilities." (taken from the Goodwill website HERE) but as an avid garage saler and blog reader I can't help but notice my Goodwill is EXPENSIVE!
I wish now that I would have taken pictures as evidence but I do have an example.
I found a brass lamp - great shape and no damage - for $15. I can get NEW lamp at Hobby Lobby for that price (during their 50% off sale).
The saddest part is that they wouldn't let me test it out to make sure it worked!! I will not pay $15 for an old used lamp if I cannot give it a test drive.
If they had a return policy, that might be a different story but they make sure to put industrial strength stickers on every lamp to let you know that "ALL SALES ARE FINAL".
...ok, ok, maybe I won't boycott them but I have half a mind to write them a scathing letter explaining about how all of these blogs that I read get lamps from Goodwill for like $5.
Thank you for reading my rant. I'm cheap, what can I say?
5 comments:
I think that is perfectly reasonable!! (your feelings, NOT the prices!)
Goodness. What about the folks that shop there because they have to?? Isnt goodwill supposed to be there to support the community? Not profit from it?
Blessings!
Amanda
Lamps always surprise me with their expensive-ness, even in thrift stores. I hear ya, sister!
I found your blog via Mabel's House-- love it!
Kristina
Sweetfern Handmade
fifteen bucks??!! you wont pay more than 5 at our goodwill, or at least I wont.
YES! Our Goodwill is expensive these days too! I can find cheaper things at flea markets, which is sad.
You're not cheap; you're smart!
Post a Comment