Thursday, September 10, 2009

Tortellini Meatball Soup

I tried the GREATEST soup recipe - EVER!

This recipe for Tortellini Meatball Soup was printed in the April 2009 issue of Country Home Magazine. In my head, soup is best eaten in the Fall, so I saved this recipe for just the right day. Tuesday was that day.

I know it's not really fall yet, especially here in Texas but it's after Labor Day and I'm already using my spice scented candles.

Oh, and this recipe was given FIVE STARS by my husband and 5 year old son.


(they even asked me to make it again the next day!)


So, without further adieu...


Tortellini Meatball Soup

1 c. Chopped Sweet Onion
2 Medium Carrots (quartered lengthwise and sliced)
3 Cloves Minced Garlic
1 TBSP Olive Oil
1 32-oz. Container of Chicken Broth
1/2 c. Water
1 Recipe Homemade Meatballs (see below)
1 9-oz. Package of Refrigerated 4-Cheese Tortellini
1 tsp. Italian Seasoning
3 c. Frozen Chopped Spinach (thawed and drained)
3 TBSP Bottled Sweet Red Pepper
Salt & Pepper to Taste


In a Dutch Oven cook and stir onion, carrots and garlic in hot olive oil until tender. Add chicken broth and water and bring to a boil. Add meatballs, tortellini and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil. Add spinach and red pepper. Simmer uncovered until tortellini are done. Season with salt and pepper.

Meatball Recipe:
8-oz. Sweet Italian Sausage
1/3 c Fine Bread Crumbs

Combine ingredients. Shape into 36 3/4" meatballs - use melon baller for portioning. Use as directed, do not cook first.
I'm getting hungry just thinking about this stuff!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

yummy! hope you made enough for leftovers.

The Joneses said...

Hey - I'll have to try it - looks yummy!