Friday, July 24, 2009

Simple Steps: Planning My Day


In this pursuit of a more godly, simple life I've been reading a fantastic book by Elizabeth George called Small Changes for a Better Life. It's really helped me to see a bigger picture and to prioritize better.


What I really love about this book is that it gives you actual things you can do. Elizabeth doesn't simply say "You need to serve the Lord first." and then move on. She gives you specific ways to do that .... in baby steps.


I need baby steps.


When you feel so far away from where you should be, baby steps are best. Especially, if you're like me and get discouraged easily.



The first step this book tells you to take is realizing that God is your FIRST PRIORITY. He should be the first appointment in your day book. As the book of John says:


"I am the vine; you are the branches. The one who remains in Me and I in him produces much fruit, because you can do nothing without Me."

~ John 15:5 (Holman Christian Standard Bible, emphasis mine)


The second priority she points out is serving others. Each day we should look for ways to go out of our way to serve our husbands, children and other people in our lives. Sure taking care of ourselves is important but according to Scripture loving God and loving others are the first two and greatest commandments.


With all that said, I need to reorder my datebook! Each evening, after David and I finish our corporate Bible time, I will prayerfully consider the my next day if the Lord blesses me with it.

This week I am planning on starting my day like this:

6am: Quiet Time with the Lord
6:30am: Shred
7am: Breakfast, get ready for the day
8am: Out the door

I will also be sure to see who I will encounter for the next day and I will plan a way to go out of my way to bless somebody that day: my hubs and son are ALWAYS on that list!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh, me me me me me me me me, I need baby steps too!!

What a neat book!! I can't wait to hear about all your success with The Shred!!

Blessigns~
Amanda

Liz said...

Love it. And you know how I adore a 'plan.' :)
Thanks for the encouragement this morning, I can always count on you!