Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Busy busy bee!

...Ok, God. I see what You're doing here. You're helping me to realize that I've become Martha (as in Mary and Martha). I've let my duties get in the way of what is truly important.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In my life it seems like God works in themes and in this season everything is lining up under the theme of simplicity - as you've probably gathered by now.

First, while I was sitting in church on Sunday listening to the sermon on Romans 2, my pastor asked a question that really got me thinking. "God's day is coming, are you living like it?"

Second, the book I'm reading right now asked the same question but a little different: "If you found out you only had six months to live, what would you change?"

Then, last night was our mentor group meeting abd we discussed, of all things, busyness. We were asked to list our priorities. I made my list. It was a very quick, short list and I thought I was good to go. But - after further review, I realized that my priorites were lacking a few things so I rewrote half of them for you today.


Priority #1: The Lord. The most important thing I can ever do is spend time in prayer, in the Word and in worship. I will forsake everything else under the sun in order to spend time with my Lord.

Priority #2: My Husband. The Lord has blessed me with an AMAZING man to follow and take care of me. After my time with the Lord, I will intentionally spend time nurturing my relationship with my husband.

Priority #3: My Son. Ethan is a gift from the Lord. We have been entrusted with him. I will remember that Ethan is a priority over the dishes, laundry and Scrubs. If I have spent my time with the Lord and husband I will focus quality time with Ethan - in the season he's in that could mean Bible time or building gun tractors out of legos.

Those are my top three priorities. They come before my home, ministry and work (in that order).

My first baby step into a more simple life is learning how to slow down, say no and focus on what REALLY matters - my Lord, my husband and our son.

2 comments:

Shayla said...

What???!!!

I'm not a priority?

gosh...you think you're really friends with someone...and then poof* you don't get mentioned on their list of most important things....

haha :) Just kiddin!

I am so glad we had that topic last night! I'm pretty sure it came at the perfect time for all of us :D

Emily said...

Sounds like you are getting your priorities in order and the way you have them listed is right in the sight of God!