Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Journey


Isn't Kelly Clarkson beautiful? She and other celebs who are of NORMAL weight are often criticized harshly for being "fat".



Take, for example, Jessica Simpson here. Beautiful, I don't care what anybody says. I would have never chosen to wear that outfit but still, she's certainly not fat.

With beautiful women such as Kelly and Jessica being dragged through the mud for putting on a few pounds and wearing "real person" sizes, it's easy to see why I've been shy about posting full body photos of myself on here.

It's a scary thought of being looked at and judged simply because I'm overweight. I know not everybody who views my blog will judge me but in my mind I am constantly being put through the rigors of every body's own visual examination....and failing.

I know I've shown this before but here is a picture of me (bottom right) my senior year of high school, a healthy size 8. don't let the picture fool you though...I had body image problems then too. Even though I was a very healthy size eight I still weighed in at 145 lbs. I was always stuck on that number and the BMI (which I think is bogus)...I didn't take into consideration that I had a six pack or some pretty decent guns (arms).

My battle with weight didn't start until I hit 20. That was when David and I got engaged...I blame my weight gain on him. NOOO! Not really. The picture above was taken two months after D and I started dating, I was 18. With us is first dog, Booger. David named him. I refuse to take the blame for that poor dog's name. ....sounds like a country song.... Anyway....


After I turned 20, for some odd reason, my body decided it hated me and began to rebel. Suddenly, my diet of pizza, burgers and Mexican food went straight to my mid-section and my weekend rock climbing expeditions were doing nothing to slow it down. Within a few months (like 14) I went from a size 8 to a size 20.


By the time I realized just how much weight I had gained we had so much going on in our lives (adoption, wild roommate...) I had no time to mess with trying to get healthy. I just kept buying clothes whenever mine started feeling a little too tight.


Once the adoption and everything else died down, I started paying more attention to the size of my clothing, the way I was eating and the stares I was getting. I did nothing about it though. I'd try eating right for a day then somebody would bless me with some sort of tasty goodness and suddenly I was back at square one.


Fast forward to February and the mystery illness. That was my wake up call. Immediately I started eating better and working out but as of the end of May I only lost six pounds, as I've told you before.


So, I started researching different diets that PCOS women have had some good results with and found out that the South Beach Diet is almost ideal for PCOS. After reading the book I decided to go ahead and jump into the diet with both feet.





I'm currently in the middle of day two and, I have to admit, it hasn't been easy. I broke down and had some fried noodles and two fortune cookies last night. Otherwise, I stuck with the diet perfectly. So, I guess I could just say that today is Day 1 and forget all about yesterday..but I won't. Day 2 is going well so far!

I also wanted to find a more intense workout to do at home. I've been using The Wave but quickly found out that #1) I don't have enough room in my apartment for it and #2) with Ethan around, it's a safety hazard. The work out with The Wave is great...it's certainly challenging and it's a lot of fun but it's just not practical for my lifestyle.

After reading the blogs of countless women doing the 30 Day Shred, I decided it was worth a shot.

Last night was my first experience with the work out and boy am I sore! I'm going to stick with it though cause this is one AWESOME workout. So, today is day 2 of my Shred 30 day countdown. I'll have a thing on the sidebar with updates so you all can keep up with my progress.

1 comment:

Tina said...

Good luck.....maybe I will become inspired and try to lose weight before my nieces wedding in Oct.