Out of all six people who responded to my last poll - Now & Then won for the best friend movie. Ok, now I know more than six people read this blog so come on ladies...VOTE! It's good practice for November.
Biblical literacy is one of the passions of my heart.
It's so full of everything you would ever need! It's full of mystery, suspense, & drama (lots and lots of drama).
Romans 7:7, 12 says
"What should we say then? Is the law sin? Absolutely not!
On the contrary, I would have not known sin if it were not for the law.
For example, I would not have known what it is to covet if the law had not said, You shall not covet."
"So then, the law is holy, and the commandment is holy and just and
good."
We should praise God that He gave us the Bible! There are so many things we can learn from it. First, the Bible is able to instruct us for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. Second, I'm just going to go ahead and quote 2 Timothy 3:16-17:
" All Scripture is inspired by God and is profitable for teaching, for
rebuking, for correcting, for training in righteousness, so that the man of
God may be complete, equipped for every good work."
I feel like I'm not urging you all strongly enough to get into the Word of God and read it in context. Find an accountability partner (a blog friend would work too!) and talk weekly about where you are in your faith. Here are some great questions my pastor recommended for when you meet with an accountability partner:
~In what particular way have you grown in your understanding of the Christian life since we last spoke?
~ In what particular way have you grown in your practice of the Christian life since we last spoke?
~In what particular way do you feel that you need instruction?
~In what particular way are you disappointed in your own pursuit of holiness?
~How, specifically, can I pray for you?
Last but not least I have another set of questions for you. These questions should help you as you're studying the Bible. Oh, that reminds me, ladies (and guys if you're reading) don't just casually read your Bibles...seek to know God; seek to understand what He is saying; focus on a book, a chapter or even a verse for a week (maybe even a month!). Give the Word time to sink in. Memorize Scripture and deeply think about. With all that said...here are the questions:
Asking Questions of Scripture
~What does this passage teach about God, His character, and His plan?
~What does this passage teach about ourselves, our nature, our struggle and our purpose for our lives?
~What does this passage teach us about right and wrong, good and evil, true and false?
~What instruction is there about relationships, about love, authority, etc?
~What does this passage teach us about life, its meaning and its purpose?
~What does this passage teach about the inner man, the heart and how it functions?
~What have we learned from this passage that would guide the way we live and make decisions?
~How does this passage help us understand and critique our culture?
6 comments:
Very good post. Now I'm back to thinking about the Sabbath. That IS part of the law, correct? 4th commandment? And from the scripture you quoted in Romans, the law is good. So then, why don't we observe the seventh day? If it IS the law, shouldn't it be observed no matter what our reasoning for observing Sunday instead? The whole thing is confusing to me. Sorry to ramble. LOL But you really got me to thinking this morning.
Oh how I wish I could find some people nearby who care to study with me.
Thank you so much for your prayers and book recommendation! I'll be purchasing that today! :) It should go along well with Respectable Sins, and I love MacArthur!
Please let me know if there is any way I can pray for you.
God Bless!
Leigh
thanks for your insight. i love how the word of God is living and active. It's not just an old ancient story. It is alive and ready to shape lives just as HE is alive and ready to shape lives. I'm glad I found you on here!
You are a very wise woman. I always pray that my children will have a passion for God's Word. That they will hunger to read and understand the bible.
Thank you for posting this today.
I get so frustrated with myself. I go through waves of reading and praying every day. And then a project hits, or something distracts me and I forget. How can I just forget? I suppose we all have the attention spans of nats in God's eyes.
A spirit filled post. Thank you. I have a request for prayer. My son is insulin dependent (for 15 years) and
has a multitude of health problems. He has not been doing so well and could use specific prayer. Thank you my friend.
have a blessed day,
Barb
Post a Comment